Wednesday, November 5, 2008

IVF #2 Fertilization Report-Not What We Hoped

Got the call a few minutes ago from the lab. It starts off very good.

15 mature
12 fertilized normally

The embryologist said we are planning for a 3 day transfer on Friday, but if they look really good we may push back to Sat or Sun. I responded that we were hoping for a 5 day transfer. His response was not good news. He said that the reason it was likely to be a 3 day transfer is that 75% of the embryos have vacuoles. The vacuoles mean that they will likely not develop normally. So that means that we are down to three (or so) decent embies already. He said it's possible that they will continue to develop but he won't know more until tomorrow.

Needless to say I'm really disappointed. I put my body thru hell for more eggs and ended up worse than I ever dreamed.

If anyone has any info on vacuoles they can share please do-I have no idea what I'm dealing with.

More embie info tomorrow.

Amy

3 comments:

Amy said...

I don't have any information on vacuoles...but if you've read my blog...you know my story. So all I can say is, don't lose all hope just yet. The possibility is still there.

Jill said...

I'm sorry it didn't go as expected. I am praying for your little embies -- I hope you get better news for your transfer. Take care of yourself, honey!

Anonymous said...

Don't lose hope. In reality, I'm not sure what he means by 75% having vacuoles. I thought vacuoles serve a purpose in all cells.

I also want to add that from reading other blogs, one of the things I've observed is that the best quality doesn't always mean the most normal. Some less than stellar quality embies tested (cgh) more normal than higher quality ones. Just saying---
Don't give up hope...
Whether it's 3 or 5dt, we're all holding out for the same outcome.
Praying for you and wishing you tons of good luck.

Best wishes,
Anna.