Friday, May 23, 2008

Near Miss

I have been absent this week because of a family emergency. My Grandfather had open heart surgery to remove a tumor the size of a large orange from his heart. He is 73, and up until about a year ago he was vital! He walked his little chihuahua Bruno up to three miles a day. He had a fall and broke his wrist, nothing major. Then he had a minor surgery on his knee followed by a total knee replacement. He then had spinal surgery and has never totally recovered. No wonder with a HUGE TUMOR ON HIS HEART!!! He is at Riverside Hosp in Columbus and doing well.

As usual, my family has pulled together and rallied around him. I am so thankful for this blessing in my life! It's really easy to take it for granted--until something bad happens! There have been a minimum of 5, maximum of 20 family members with my Grandpa at all times. Other patients don't have anyone with them-I can't imagine that.

My grandparents began a family with difficulty-they were poor and unprepared, and while there was always LOVE there was strife as well. They raised four daughters, who gave them eleven grandchildren (plus spouses). I know that there are other large families, but ours is large and super close! I see them ALL several times a year and it is easy to forget that not everyone has this kind of support.

I know I will survive infertility and have a family of my own somehow; but it will be thanks, at least in part, to the "family of my own" I have now.

Amy

No comments: