Wednesday, April 30, 2008

List of Questions for RE at IVF follow-up:

I have done tons of research this week to prepare for our IVF #1 BFN follow-up with our RE. i really do love him, but I need to know the answers to some tough questions and I think I may have been too naive to ask in the past. I'm posting the best list I've come up with, please feel free to add and additional questions you think I could ask. Thanks!



Why do believe this cycle failed?

How many cycles does it normally take for couples with similar circumstances?

Should we consider additional testing?
Laparoscopy?
CC Challenge Test?

Should we try again if we can afford it?

Considering our circumstances, and the number of years we have undergone treatment with you, can you offer any fee reduction?

If there can be no reduction, can you offer a payment plan, guarantee, or some sort-of shared risk?

Do you have any donated medicine that we could use?

What would you do differently this time?
Different protocol
More stims
Letrozole with FSH

Do you offer Ultrasound Guided embryo transfer?
Benefit?

I’ve noticed many other clinics with success rates upwards of 60%--do you know what they’re doing to achieve such high rates?
Colorado Center for Repro Med 62% live birth; 2.4 t/f; 1236 cycles
Texas Fertility Center Austin, TX 53% live birth; 2.2t/f; 675 cycles
Vermesh Center for IF CA, 60% live birth rate; 2.6t/f; 500 cycles

Are there any new or experimental procedures we could try?

How do you feel about alternative medicine, such as acupuncture?

Am I a candidate for trans-vaginal ovarian drilling, should we consider it?

I’ve been on the same does of Metformin for years, should I increase it?

What was the quality of the eggs retrieved?

Why did we lose so many?
10 at retrieval
9 could be fertilized
6 fertilized
3 developed

Are there different culture medias to try that may improve success?

Why was a day three transfer chosen versus a day 5?

Are success rates higher with day 5 transfers?

Many clinics are pushing day 5 transfers what are the benefits/ risks?
RHI Pittsburg, PA 52% live birth rate; 1.8 transferred

Would you consider me to have luteal phase defect?

Would assisted hatching help us?

Could the missed PIO shot have contributed to the failure of the cycle?

My Mother took the drug Bendectin during her whole pregnancy with me, could that have any effect now?

I have been following the “Fertility Diet” should I continue that eating plan or should it be modified?

I have read that weight loss can reduce the effects of PCOS; I have lost considerable weight since beginning this process, why do you think we’re not seeing the results of that?

Is there anything else that you think I should be asking you, that I haven’t covered?

2 comments:

Morrisa said...

I think these are all great questions. Hopefully you will get some helpful answers.

Nadine said...

Lots of questions.
Ultra sound guided embryo transfer is absolutely crucial, I will just give you my experience as an example. We did an iui with injectibles and the iui was not ultra sound guided. Well we found out when we did the mock transfer for an ivf cycle, with ultra sound, that there was no way in h-e-l-l those sperm went into my uterus (my cervix is cork screw shaped). But with out the ultra sound we would have never known that.
good luck